Consider delaying instant gratification

As much as I hate to admit it, the above topic is very much close to my heart I would say. However, my struggle used to be at the other extreme compared to most people. Allow me to explain.

Instant Gratification

You see, in my opinion, most people typically struggle with overspending when it comes to instant gratification. You want a 5 dollar bubble tea because you have a "craving" and it is rationalised as "I am working hard every day so technically I should deserve to have anything I supposedly crave for my effort" and eventually you get that bubble tea. Substitute the amount and the item and the formula should still be applicable to almost everything one can buy.

However, my struggle was at the other end of the spectrum. It is exactly because I know I want to avoid consumerism I gave too much thought to it and despite all my agony, I cut back on spending which supposedly should make me happy. I remember at the time my thought process was like "You don't need this, that few dollars you save, could have been invested to reap more dollars". Sounds like Warren Buffett to me and I cut back on "unnecessary" expenditure. 

Pride from frugality

True enough with my endeavour, I was saving more and more. I remember I was cheapo frugal to the extent, I never ordered drinks from the kopitiam but postponing it to make ice milo when I was back to the office pantry after lunch. You should be laughing by now, just like how some of my senior co-workers looked at me with astonishment when they asked why I did what I did. The company was surely not under paying us. That was when I told them, with pride, about my savings plan. About how i had an excel sheet tracking my day to day expenses and how delaying this gratification was gonna help me excel financially. Of course the whole plan did not just involve brewing ice Milo. It involved "optimising" a lot of other expenses as well. 

Unhappiness from within

Some time later, after being so frugal with myself, I found myself growing a little unhappy. I questioned myself as to why I could not have a can of coke just like the others whenever I felt like having it, especially when I worked hard too and earn decently. And I thought to myself this is getting a little unhealthy from a mental perspective. I mean, Yes, we were brought up to be discerning with expenses but if this thriftiness was to lead to some negative effects then I think it would be wise to re-evaluate my approach.

Conclusion

Life is a journey. There is no hard and fast rule as everyone goes through it differently. Dear reader, today, you could be at the end of the spectrum, doing consumerism like no tomorrow with a empty or near empty bank account almost every month end, but I believe and hope by reading this, you can take a step back to consider delaying instant gratification once in a while. I definitely would not suggest you to go the extreme of frugality, like the old me, such that you totally cut back on expense to the extent of unhappiness from within but perhaps to seek a balance between both extremes, where there is presence of surplus as well as happiness from life's little treats once in a while. Everything in moderation is key!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note to my 19 year old self

Pre-Lude